Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Making a little progress!

I had my check-up yesterday.  Down 17 lbs!  Can we say woo-hoo?  So, it appears the steroid-wean is going well.  I am now at 10mg once per day..a long way since November.  My cortisol level is still a tad on the low side so we are gonna stay here & cruise for a little longer.  The doctor is optimistic that my body is recovering and hopefully in a couple of months, we can wean a little more.  As long as I am headed that way, I am content.  When everything in your body has taken a turn for the worse for several years, any step the other way is more than welcomed!  Baby steps but steps nonetheless.
I still have days where I struggle physically and that leads to a mental struggle.  My mind tells me I can do a lot more than my body is quite ready for and that is frustrating.  My doctor tells me to be patient and just move a little more each day.  She & I both are excited that the swimming pools will be ready soon because that will be a great form of exercise for me.  Recovering from Cushing's is sort of a viscious cycle....you need to exercise to get stronger, lose weight but your body is so damaged from it, that you are limited to what types of exercise you can do.  You eventually can do more & more but it takes much longer to get there.  I see people that I know could do things if they just wanted to and to be honest, it frustrates me.  Not so much mad at them but I think back to when I was healthy and could have done so much more and I get ill at myself.  Not that it would've mattered to much since Cushing's was lurking but still...oh well, I guess there is really no sense in the 'what could have been' game.
While at the doctor, she was telling me about my tumor and that she got the sample of it from the hospital I had my surgery at..she was telling me how tiny it was.  They say the pit gland is the size of a pea and this tumor was on that and they say it was teeny-tiny.  That just blows me away....something so incredibly small caused such enormous damage to my body.  Cushing's affected almost all my internal systems, my muscles, my skin, my hair, my joints...how I slept (or didn't sleep)....my energy....my appetite...my weight.....and the list goes on and on.  Insane, really.
Anyhow, sorry I got off on one of my rambling sessions.  The doctor was pleased and I will admit it was so great hearing positive things instead of more reports of damage.  That little light at the end of the tunnel is getting a little brighter.

1 comment:

  1. What a tremendous answer to prayer... the tide is turning, you are kicking Cushing's butt, girl!! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete